> jumping into life.

« Home | Here is what I cling to: we always end up where we... » | My heart is a secretive thing, far more so than I ... » | I've been reading Zen again. Winter is the time fo... » | The cycle is easy enough to predict: I am overwork... » | After the bike class today, I have grease all over... » | Things are speeding up. I filed my petition to gra... » | We spent the morning harvesting Hopi corn, pushing... » | Well. Autumn is here. A few weeks ago the clouds c... » | three days of summer classes left, then two weeks ... » | tuesday morning, second-to-last day of my week-lon... » 

2.06.2006 

Here are my options of a morning: I have a tea mixed of rose hips, clover and hibiscus from the health food bulk isle, and mint from last summer's farm, and I have coffee. This is the first moral dilemma of the day: I know what goes into coffee. I just spent a month learning it again, this time in Bolivia, where the coffee "collective" we visited did not distribute profits, and the hotel had instant Nescafe from Brasil. Looking at a cup of joe, fullsweetened the way I like it, I know what a coffee plantation looks like, what the workers are (or, more accurately, aren't) paid, the infrastructure, the glut. Then there's sugarcane. It's enough to make a person weep, all before seven AM. My tea? The innocence is almost laughable, and the conscience is soothed. But it just doesn't do the trick.


Oh, the choices we make.