> jumping into life.

« Home | I almost smashed the frog when I fell. I'd been te... » | My improbable doppelgänger is coming to visit me t... » | When I was little I used to stay at my grandparent... » | Ouroboros: last Easter, we went hiking in the old ... » | Perhaps I was ten. Maybe only nine, or twelve – it... » | Also: I did my first successful handstand today, a... » | I wonder what it must have been like for the explo... » | 1."Not six inches, not a foot and a half. A foot a... » | A warm evening, after a string of soft, warm days.... » | Words are slow for me, sticky like honeycomb and s... » 

4.21.2006 

I stand on my hands, heels hovering against the living room wall. Gravity comes home; my body comes home. They dance. I waver, elbows aching, arms quivering. Keys fall out of my pocket with a clatter, then three quarters one at a time. I remember to breathe. I fall.


Again. And again. Eventually my heels do not touch the wall, but the next time I slam against it. My palms are warm and my fingers twitching. The teapot sings. I fall. Outside, sparrows are building a nest in the eaves, and somewhere a nuthatch traces spirals down the trunk of an oak. On a hike someday I will trace my fingers along the holes he leaves and nod to myself. My heels hit the wall. I fall.