> jumping into life.

« Home | The tomatoes and potatoes have flowers, the lady-c... » | The robin found the birdfeeder the next day, and w... » | The birdfeeder J made has been updated (to add per... » | The first strawberries of the season.I was going t... » | The web of community begins to grow around us. We'... » | I came to this place in February, the midst of win... » | In the woods, though we are barely outside of town... » | Last day of work at the vets' is Friday. Turns out... » | Happy birthday to me!Birthdays are a good time, I'... » | On our evening walk one night last week, he told m... » 

6.28.2007 

In California, the oak moths hatched today. They fly in haphazard billows around the dusty leaves, hardly more tangible than the clouds that sit complacent on the horizon, awaiting their time. One lands on my arm as I walk the old, blind dog: I am charmed for a moment but soon forget her. Hours later, my brother points her out as I am doing the dishes, and there she is, a trail of six perfect tiny spheres behind her. When I try to gently dislodge her, she tumbles into the geraniums without even opening her wings.

Tomorrow I'm going to Tassajara for a few days, and I'll be in California for a few days more after that. The wide-open sky of unemployment had begun to feel claustrophobic, and there are still few friends for me in Vermont. I needed a break, needed to go somewhere where people would be excited to see me, needed home.

Plus, I got to surprise my dad, and nobody ever suprises my dad.