> jumping into life.

« Home | Coming out of the Canyon, the seasons spin backwar... » | I am going to the Canyon, to stare into the abyss ... » | A friend today asked me where my interest in scien... » | I would not call myself a hedonist.I cannot, howev... » | Modern life certainly has its amenities, as at pre... » | Out of the shower, my skin steaming in the cold. R... » | I remember the first timeI saw frost-churned soil,... » | And it falls and falls.(The world is full of joy.) » | Two days ago we had a few teasing flurries of snow... » | College party: loud music, too much wine. It start... » 

3.23.2006 

The phone rings just as I am on the edge of sleep, and the ensuing conversation drifts in and out of coherency. Eventually, I fall asleep with the phone in my hand, blankets pulled tight around me. A few hours later I wake: a temperature of 102.6 and I am shivering. Fever dreams of the Canyon, where I burrow deeper and deeper into dark heat. Words stalk me. I am cold and then hot and then cold again. I cannot tell when I am awake or when I am dreaming, I cannot tell where my skin ends and the world begins; all the boundaries are blurred in a delirium of sensation. The heat feels good.